Top Schools and Colleges for Library Technicians in Louisiana 2023
- In-State Tuition: $11,958Students Enrolled: 26455
Best Online Degree Programs for Library Technician
Library Technician Salary in Louisiana for 2023
Average Annual Salary: $31,910 Hourly Rate: $15.34
Data sourced from the U.S. Department of Labor via the ONET Web API. Updated at December 8, 2023
Library Technician Schools and Programs in Louisiana
If you are passionate about books and enjoy working in a library setting, becoming a Library Technician in Louisiana might be the perfect career choice for you. Library Technicians play a crucial role in supporting library operations and assisting patrons with their information needs. In order to pursue this career path, you will need to acquire the necessary education and training. Fortunately, there are several schools and programs in Louisiana that can help you achieve your goal.
Here are some notable schools and programs that offer Library Technician education in Louisiana:
- Delgado Community College: Delgado offers an Associate of Applied Science in Library Technical Services program. This comprehensive two-year program provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to work as Library Technicians. The curriculum covers various aspects of library operations, cataloging, reference services, and technology.
- Baton Rouge Community College: Baton Rouge Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Library and Information Technology program. This program prepares students for careers as Library Technicians by providing hands-on training in library operations, database management, cataloging, and reference services.
- Southern University at Shreveport: Southern University at Shreveport offers a Library Technical Assistant Certificate program. This program is designed to provide students with the foundational skills needed to work as Library Technicians. The curriculum covers topics such as library organization, cataloging, reference services, and technology.
Certifications for Library Technicians in Louisiana
While certification is not mandatory to work as a Library Technician in Louisiana, obtaining professional certifications can enhance your job prospects and demonstrate your commitment to the field. The American Library Association (ALA) offers the Certified Library Support Staff (CLSS) certification, which is specifically designed for Library Technicians and other library support staff.
Here are some key certifications that can benefit Library Technicians in Louisiana:
- Certified Library Support Staff (CLSS): Offered by the American Library Association, this certification validates your knowledge and skills as a Library Technician. It covers various aspects of library operations, customer service, technology, and ethical practices. Obtaining this certification can enhance your job prospects and demonstrate your commitment to professional development.
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS): Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is essential for Library Technicians. Obtaining MOS certifications in programs like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can showcase your technical skills and make you a valuable asset in any library setting.
Remember that while certifications can be beneficial, gaining practical experience through internships or part-time jobs in libraries can also greatly enhance your career prospects as a Library Technician in Louisiana.
Schools and Programs for Library Technicians in Louisiana
1. Louisiana State University (LSU)
- LSU offers a Library and Information Science program that prepares students for careers as library technicians.
- The program provides a solid foundation in library science principles, information organization, and technology skills.
- Students have the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships at local libraries.
- Graduates of the program are well-prepared to work as library technicians in various settings.
2. University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- The University of Louisiana at Lafayette offers a Bachelor of Arts in Library Science degree program.
- This program provides students with a comprehensive understanding of library operations and services.
- Students learn about cataloging, reference services, collection development, and library management.
- The program also includes courses on emerging technologies in libraries.
- Graduates of this program can pursue careers as library technicians or continue their education in library science.
3. Delgado Community College
- Delgado Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Library Technology program.
- This program focuses on developing the skills necessary to work as a library technician.
- Students learn about library operations, cataloging, reference services, and information technology.
- The program also includes a hands-on internship component to provide practical experience.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to work in public, academic, or special libraries.
Certifications for Library Technicians in Louisiana
1. Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC)
- The Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC) is a national certification program for library technicians.
- This certification is offered by the American Library Association (ALA) and the Library Support Staff Interests Round Table (LSSIRT).
- The LSSC program consists of four competency sets: foundations of library services, technology, communication and teamwork, and library-specific knowledge.
- To earn the certification, candidates must complete the required coursework and pass an exam.
- The LSSC certification is a valuable credential that demonstrates a library technician's expertise and dedication to the profession.
2. Louisiana Library Paraprofessional Certification
- The Louisiana Library Paraprofessional Certification is a state-specific certification for library support staff.
- This certification is offered by the Louisiana State Library and is designed to recognize the skills and knowledge of library technicians.
- To be eligible for this certification, candidates must have at least two years of experience working in a library setting.
- The certification requires completion of a competency-based assessment and an online portfolio submission.
- Obtaining this certification demonstrates a library technician's commitment to professional development and enhances career opportunities in Louisiana.
Remember to research and verify the information provided as program availability and requirements may vary over time.
List of Online Resources For Becoming a Library Technician in Louisiana
If you're aspiring to become a Library Technician in Louisiana, there are various online resources available to help you kickstart your career. These resources provide valuable information about schools, programs, and certifications specifically tailored to the field of library science in Louisiana. Here is a comprehensive list of online resources to guide you:
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette - Library Science Program: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette offers a Bachelor of Arts degree program in Library Science. This program provides students with a solid foundation in library operations and management, as well as the necessary skills to work as a Library Technician.
- Northwestern State University - Library Information Services Program: Northwestern State University provides an online Bachelor of Science degree program in Library Information Services. This program focuses on developing the skills required to work in various library settings, including public, academic, and special libraries.
- Bossier Parish Community College - Library Information Technology Program: Bossier Parish Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree program in Library Information Technology. This program prepares students for entry-level positions as Library Technicians by providing hands-on training in cataloging, reference services, and library management.
- Delgado Community College - Library Technical Assistant Program: Delgado Community College provides a certificate program in Library Technical Assistant. This program focuses on equipping students with the necessary skills to assist librarians in various library functions, such as cataloging, circulation, and customer service.
- Louisiana Delta Community College - Library Technology Program: Louisiana Delta Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree program in Library Technology. This program prepares students for entry-level positions as Library Technicians through courses that cover library operations, information technology, and cataloging.
- Louisiana Library Association - Certification Programs: The Louisiana Library Association offers certification programs for Library Technicians. These certifications validate the skills and knowledge necessary to work effectively in libraries. By obtaining these certifications, you can enhance your employment prospects and demonstrate your commitment to professional development.
By utilizing these online resources, you can gain the necessary education and certifications to pursue a fulfilling career as a Library Technician in Louisiana. Take advantage of these opportunities to acquire the skills and knowledge required to excel in this dynamic field.