Top Schools and Colleges for IT Managers in Oklahoma 2023
- University of Oklahoma-Norman CampusNorman, OKIn-State Tuition: $12,012Students Enrolled: 20800
- Oklahoma State University-Main CampusStillwater, OKIn-State Tuition: $9,244Students Enrolled: 19841
- University of Central OklahomaEdmond, OKIn-State Tuition: $8,030Students Enrolled: 11420
- Southwestern Oklahoma State UniversityWeatherford, OKIn-State Tuition: $7,913Students Enrolled: 3541
- Oklahoma Wesleyan UniversityBartlesville, OKIn-State Tuition: $29,498Students Enrolled: 780
IT Manager Salary in Oklahoma for 2023
Average Annual Salary: $124,430 Hourly Rate: $59.82
Data sourced from the U.S. Department of Labor via the ONET Web API. Updated at December 8, 2023
Reasons For Becoming an IT Manager in Oklahoma
Oklahoma is a thriving state with a growing technology sector, making it an excellent place for aspiring IT managers. With the increasing reliance on technology in various industries, the demand for skilled IT professionals, including managers, is on the rise. Here are some compelling reasons to consider pursuing a career as an IT manager in Oklahoma:
1. Thriving Technology Sector
Oklahoma's technology sector is rapidly expanding, offering numerous opportunities for IT professionals. The state has a diverse range of industries, including energy, aerospace, healthcare, and finance, all of which require robust IT infrastructure and competent IT managers to ensure smooth operations.
2. Competitive Salaries
IT managers in Oklahoma enjoy competitive salaries that reflect their skills and expertise. The average annual salary for IT managers in the state is around $100,000, which is higher than the national average. Additionally, with experience and additional certifications, IT managers can command even higher salaries.
3. Abundance of Job Opportunities
Oklahoma boasts a vibrant job market for IT professionals. Many businesses in the state are actively seeking qualified IT managers to oversee their technology operations. By pursuing a career as an IT manager in Oklahoma, you can take advantage of the numerous job opportunities available across various industries.
4. Quality Education Programs
Oklahoma is home to several reputable educational institutions that offer programs specifically designed for aspiring IT managers. These programs provide a solid foundation in information technology and management principles, equipping students with the necessary skills to succeed in their careers.
Schools and Programs in Oklahoma:
- University of Oklahoma: Offers a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (MIS) program that prepares students for leadership roles in IT management.
- Oklahoma State University: Offers a Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MS-MIS) program that focuses on developing advanced IT management skills.
- University of Central Oklahoma: Offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Management Information Systems program, emphasizing the integration of business and technology.
5. Professional Certifications
Obtaining relevant certifications can significantly enhance your career prospects as an IT manager. Certifications demonstrate your expertise and commitment to staying updated with the latest industry trends. In Oklahoma, there are several certification programs available that can help you stand out in the job market:
- Certified Information Systems Manager (CISM): A globally recognized certification that validates your ability to manage and secure information systems.
- Project Management Professional (PMP): Although not specific to IT management, this certification demonstrates your proficiency in managing complex projects, a skill highly valued in IT management roles.
- ITIL Foundation: This certification focuses on IT service management best practices and is widely recognized in the industry.
By pursuing a career as an IT manager in Oklahoma, you can leverage the state's thriving technology sector, competitive salaries, abundant job opportunities, quality education programs, and professional certifications to build a successful and fulfilling career in this field.
Schools and Programs for IT Manager in Oklahoma
1. University of Oklahoma
The University of Oklahoma offers a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (MIS) program that prepares students for careers in IT management. The program focuses on teaching students the necessary skills in areas such as database management, project management, and systems analysis. Additionally, the university offers a Master of Science in MIS program for those who wish to further their education and enhance their career prospects.
2. Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma State University provides a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in Management Information Systems. This program equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to become successful IT managers. Courses cover topics such as data management, network security, and IT strategy.
3. University of Tulsa
The University of Tulsa offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems program that prepares students for careers in IT management. This program focuses on teaching students the technical skills required for managing IT systems and projects effectively. Courses cover topics such as programming, database management, and cybersecurity.
4. Southern Nazarene University
Southern Nazarene University provides a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems program that prepares students for various roles in IT management. The curriculum includes courses in programming, database design, and project management. Students also have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through internships and capstone projects.
Certifications for IT Manager in Oklahoma
- CompTIA Project+: This certification validates the knowledge and skills required to manage IT projects effectively. It covers areas such as project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closure.
- ITIL Foundation: The ITIL Foundation certification focuses on IT service management best practices. It covers topics such as service strategy, design, transition, operation, and continual service improvement.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): This certification is ideal for IT managers who specialize in cybersecurity. It validates the knowledge and skills required to design, implement, and manage a secure IT environment.
- Project Management Professional (PMP): The PMP certification is globally recognized and demonstrates expertise in project management. It covers areas such as project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closing.
By pursuing a degree in Management Information Systems from reputable universities in Oklahoma and obtaining relevant certifications, aspiring IT managers can enhance their career prospects and increase their chances of success in the field. These educational programs and certifications provide the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively manage IT projects, systems, and teams.
Online Resources For Becoming an IT Manager in Oklahoma
If you're interested in becoming an IT Manager in Oklahoma, there are several online resources available to help you achieve your career goals. These resources provide valuable information about schools, programs, and certifications that can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge for this role. Here are some online resources to consider:
- Oklahoma CareerTech - Oklahoma CareerTech is a state agency that offers a wide range of career and technical education programs. They provide information on various IT programs and schools in Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma State University - Oklahoma State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (MIS) program. This program provides students with a solid foundation in business and technology, preparing them for managerial roles in the IT field.
- University of Central Oklahoma - The University of Central Oklahoma offers a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology program. This program focuses on developing technical skills and knowledge required for IT management positions.
- University of Oklahoma - The University of Oklahoma offers a Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MS-MIS) program. This program is designed for individuals who want to enhance their technical and managerial skills in the field of IT.
- Tulsa Community College - Tulsa Community College offers an Associate in Applied Science in Management Information Systems program. This program provides students with a solid foundation in IT management principles and prepares them for entry-level positions in the field.
- Cisco Certifications - Cisco offers a range of certifications that can enhance your skills and knowledge in IT management. These certifications are highly regarded in the industry and can increase your job prospects.
- Microsoft Certifications - Microsoft offers various certifications for IT professionals, including those interested in IT management. These certifications validate your expertise in Microsoft technologies and can boost your career.
Remember to research each program or certification to determine which one aligns with your career goals and interests. These resources provide a starting point for your journey towards becoming an IT Manager in Oklahoma.