IT Manager Salary in Alaska for 2023
Average Annual Salary: $127,430 Hourly Rate: $61.26
Data sourced from the U.S. Department of Labor via the ONET Web API. Updated at December 8, 2023
Reasons For Becoming an IT Manager in Alaska
Alaska, the largest state in the United States, offers unique opportunities for aspiring IT Managers. If you are passionate about technology and want to pursue a career in management, Alaska can provide you with a fulfilling and rewarding experience. Here are some reasons why becoming an IT Manager in Alaska is a great choice:
- Thriving IT Industry:
- Alaska's IT industry is rapidly growing, creating a high demand for skilled professionals. As an IT Manager, you can be part of this thriving industry and contribute to its growth.
- The state's diverse economy, including sectors like healthcare, tourism, oil, and gas, provides ample opportunities for IT Managers to work in various industries and gain valuable experience.
- High Salary Potential:
- As an IT Manager in Alaska, you can expect competitive salaries due to the demand for skilled professionals.
- The cost of living in Alaska may be higher than in some other states; however, the higher salaries compensate for this, allowing you to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.
- Opportunities for Advancement:
- Alaska offers excellent opportunities for career growth and advancement in the field of IT management.
- With experience and expertise, you can climb the corporate ladder and take on more challenging roles within your organization or even move on to higher positions in different companies.
- Unique Work Environment:
- Working as an IT Manager in Alaska means being surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty. The state's stunning landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor recreational activities make it a unique place to live and work.
- If you enjoy outdoor adventures like hiking, fishing, or skiing, Alaska provides the perfect backdrop for a work-life balance.
Schools and Programs for IT Managers in Alaska
To become an IT Manager in Alaska, it is crucial to have the right education and training. Here are some schools and programs that can help you kickstart your career:
- University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA):
- UAA offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems Engineering with a focus on IT management. This program equips students with the necessary skills in computer science, systems engineering, and management to excel as IT Managers.
- The university also offers a Master of Science in Computer Science, which allows you to specialize further in areas like software engineering or cybersecurity.
- Alaska Pacific University (APU):
- APU provides a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Management Information Systems. This program combines business and technology courses to prepare students for managerial roles in the IT industry.
- Additionally, APU offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program with a concentration in Technology Management. This advanced degree can enhance your leadership and strategic skills as an IT Manager.
- Professional certifications can greatly enhance your credentials as an IT Manager. Some widely recognized certifications include:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification from (ISC)²
- ITIL Foundation certification for IT Service Management
Remember to research each school's admission requirements, program duration, and tuition fees before making a decision. It is also beneficial to explore internship or co-op opportunities offered by these institutions to gain practical experience.
By obtaining the right education and certifications, you can develop the skills and knowledge necessary to excel as an IT Manager in Alaska's thriving tech industry.
Schools and Programs for IT Managers in Alaska
1. University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA)
Located in the largest city in Alaska, UAA offers several programs that can help you kickstart your career as an IT Manager. The following programs are worth considering:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems Engineering Technology: This program focuses on providing students with the technical skills and knowledge needed to manage computer systems effectively.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Management Information Systems: This degree program combines business management principles with information technology to equip students with the necessary skills for managerial roles in the IT industry.
2. University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF)
Situated in the heart of Alaska, UAF offers relevant programs that can prepare you for a successful career as an IT Manager. Consider the following options:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science: This program emphasizes computer programming, algorithms, and software development, which are essential skills for IT managers.
- Master of Science in Computer Science: If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to further specialize in computer science, this program can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills required for managerial positions.
3. Alaska Pacific University (APU)
APU, located in Anchorage, offers a program that combines business and technology to develop well-rounded IT professionals. Consider their program:
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Technology: This program provides a solid foundation in business principles while offering specialized courses in information technology management.
Certifications for IT Managers in Alaska
Obtaining industry certifications can enhance your credibility and improve your chances of securing managerial positions. Here are some certifications that can benefit IT Managers in Alaska:
- Project Management Professional (PMP): This certification is widely recognized and demonstrates your expertise in managing complex IT projects.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): This certification focuses on information security management, a critical aspect of IT management.
- ITIL Foundation: This certification provides a comprehensive understanding of IT service management and aligns IT processes with business objectives.
- CompTIA Project+: This certification validates your knowledge of project management principles and practices, essential for IT managers involved in project-based work.
Remember, while certifications can add value to your resume, they are not mandatory for securing an IT Manager position. However, they can give you a competitive edge and showcase your commitment to professional development.
List of Online Resources For Becoming a IT Manager in Alaska
If you're aspiring to become an IT Manager in Alaska, there are several online resources that can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge. These resources include schools, programs, and certifications that can provide you with the education and training needed to excel in this field. Here are some of the top online resources for becoming an IT Manager in Alaska:
1. University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA)
The University of Alaska Anchorage offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems Engineering Technology (CSET) program. This program provides a strong foundation in computer systems and technology, preparing students for careers as IT Managers. UAA's CSET program is available online, allowing students to study at their own pace while balancing other commitments.
2. Alaska Pacific University (APU)
Alaska Pacific University offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems (CIS) program. This program focuses on the management and utilization of information systems, providing students with the skills needed to succeed as IT Managers. APU's CIS program is available online, making it accessible to individuals across Alaska.
3. University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF)
The University of Alaska Fairbanks offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Management Information Systems (MIS) program. This program combines business knowledge with technology skills, preparing students for leadership roles in IT management. UAF's MIS program is available online, allowing students to learn from anywhere in Alaska.
4. Alaska Career College (ACC)
Alaska Career College offers an Information Technology Specialist program that can help you kickstart your career as an IT Manager. This program covers a wide range of topics, including network administration, computer security, and database management. ACC's Information Technology Specialist program is available online, providing flexibility for individuals who are working or have other commitments.
5. CompTIA Certifications
CompTIA offers a range of certifications that are highly recognized in the IT industry. These certifications include CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and CompTIA Security+. By obtaining these certifications, you can demonstrate your expertise in areas such as hardware, networking, and security, which are essential for IT Managers.
6. Project Management Institute (PMI) Certifications
Project Management Institute (PMI) certifications, such as the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, can be valuable for IT Managers. These certifications focus on project management skills, which are essential for successfully leading IT projects. PMI certifications can enhance your resume and demonstrate your ability to manage complex IT initiatives.
By utilizing these online resources, you can gain the necessary education, training, and certifications to become a successful IT Manager in Alaska. Whether you choose to pursue a degree program or obtain industry-recognized certifications, these resources will help you develop the skills needed to excel in this dynamic field.