Top Schools and Colleges for High School Career Teachers in Mississippi 2023
- University of MississippiUniversity, MSIn-State Tuition: $9,044Students Enrolled: 15994
- Mississippi State UniversityMississippi State, MSIn-State Tuition: $9,220Students Enrolled: 18451
- University of Southern MississippiHattiesburg, MSIn-State Tuition: $9,204Students Enrolled: 10597
- Millsaps CollegeJackson, MSIn-State Tuition: $42,960Students Enrolled: 635
- Delta State UniversityCleveland, MSIn-State Tuition: $8,360Students Enrolled: 1716
Best Online Degree Programs for High School Career Teacher
High School Career Teacher Salary in Mississippi for 2023
Average Annual Salary: $49,020
Data sourced from the U.S. Department of Labor via the ONET Web API. Updated at December 8, 2023
Reasons For Becoming a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi
If you have a passion for helping students discover their interests and prepare for their future careers, becoming a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi can be a rewarding and fulfilling career choice. Mississippi offers numerous opportunities for aspiring career teachers, with a range of schools, programs, and certifications available. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider pursuing this career path in Mississippi:
- Demand for Career Teachers: Mississippi, like many other states, recognizes the importance of preparing students for the workforce. As a result, there is a growing demand for qualified High School Career Teachers who can provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in their chosen careers.
- Impactful Work: As a High School Career Teacher, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of your students. By helping them explore different career options, develop essential skills, and set goals, you can empower them to make informed decisions about their future and achieve success.
- Opportunities for Growth: Mississippi values continuous professional development for educators. As a High School Career Teacher, you can take advantage of various opportunities for growth and advancement. These include attending workshops, conferences, and seminars to enhance your teaching skills and staying updated with industry trends.
- Collaborative Environment: The field of career education in Mississippi promotes collaboration among educators, industry professionals, and community organizations. This collaborative environment allows High School Career Teachers to connect with experts in various fields and create meaningful partnerships that benefit their students.
- Diverse Student Population: Mississippi is home to a diverse student population with different backgrounds, talents, and aspirations. As a High School Career Teacher, you will have the opportunity to work with students from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds, providing you with a rich and rewarding teaching experience.
- Supportive Programs and Initiatives: Mississippi offers several programs and initiatives to support career education in high schools. These programs provide resources, curriculum frameworks, and professional development opportunities specifically tailored for High School Career Teachers, ensuring you have the necessary tools to deliver effective instruction.
- Competitive Salary and Benefits: While salary varies depending on factors such as experience and qualifications, High School Career Teachers in Mississippi can enjoy competitive compensation packages that include benefits like health insurance, retirement plans, and paid leave.
Schools, Programs, and Certifications
When pursuing a career as a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi, it's essential to consider the schools, programs, and certifications available to help you achieve your goals. Here are some notable options:
- Mississippi Department of Education (MDE): The MDE is the primary governing body for education in Mississippi. They provide information on certification requirements, curriculum frameworks, and professional development opportunities for High School Career Teachers.
- Mississippi Teacher Center (MTC): The MTC offers various resources, training programs, and workshops designed to support educators in Mississippi. They provide valuable information for High School Career Teachers looking to enhance their instructional practices.
- Mississippi Colleges and Universities: Several colleges and universities in Mississippi offer teacher education programs that focus on career and technical education. These programs equip aspiring High School Career Teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel in their profession.
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) Centers: CTE centers across Mississippi provide specialized programs that prepare high school students for careers in various industries. These centers often collaborate with High School Career Teachers to deliver industry-aligned curriculum and hands-on learning experiences.
- Teacher Certification: To become a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi, you will need to obtain a teaching certificate from the Mississippi Department of Education. The specific requirements vary depending on the subject area you wish to teach, so it's important to review the certification guidelines provided by the MDE.
Remember, becoming a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi requires dedication, passion, and a commitment to lifelong learning. By taking advantage of the available resources, programs, and certifications, you can embark on a fulfilling career that positively impacts the lives of Mississippi's future workforce.
Schools and Programs for High School Career Teachers in Mississippi
1. Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Career and Technical Education program. This program prepares students to become high school career teachers by providing them with the necessary knowledge and skills in their chosen career field. The program also includes hands-on teaching experiences in local high schools.
2. University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi offers a Bachelor of Science in Career and Technical Education program. This program focuses on preparing students to teach a specific career field at the high school level. Students will gain practical teaching experience through internships and student teaching opportunities.
3. Delta State University
Delta State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Education with a concentration in Career and Technical Education. This program equips students with the necessary skills to become high school career teachers. Students will have the opportunity to specialize in a specific career field such as agriculture, business, or health sciences.
4. Jackson State University
Jackson State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Career and Technical Education program. This program prepares students to become effective high school career teachers by providing them with a solid foundation in education theory and practice. Students will also have the opportunity to gain hands-on teaching experience through internships and student teaching.
Certifications for High School Career Teachers in Mississippi
In order to become a high school career teacher in Mississippi, you must meet the following certification requirements:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Complete an approved teacher education program
- Pass the appropriate Praxis subject area exams
- Complete a background check
Once you have met these requirements, you can apply for a standard educator license from the Mississippi Department of Education. This license is valid for five years and can be renewed by completing continuing education requirements.
It is important to note that certification requirements may vary, so it is recommended to check with the Mississippi Department of Education for the most up-to-date information.
High School Career Teacher Programs and Certifications in Mississippi
If you're interested in becoming a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi, there are several schools and programs that can help you achieve your goals. These institutions offer the necessary education and certifications to prepare you for a rewarding career in teaching.
Here is a list of online resources that can provide you with more information about the programs and certifications available for High School Career Teachers in Mississippi:
- University of Southern Mississippi (USM): USM offers an online Master of Science in Career and Technical Education program. This program provides advanced training in teaching career-related subjects in high schools. It covers topics such as curriculum development, instructional strategies, and assessment techniques.
- William Carey University: William Carey University offers an online Master of Education in Career and Technical Education program. This program is designed for individuals who already hold a valid teaching license and want to specialize in career and technical education. It focuses on equipping educators with the skills necessary to effectively teach career-related subjects.
- Mississippi University for Women (MUW): MUW offers an online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program with a concentration in Career and Technical Education. This program is designed for individuals who have a bachelor's degree in a related field and want to obtain a teaching license in career and technical education.
- William Carey University: William Carey University also offers an online Bachelor of Applied Science in Career and Technical Education program. This program is designed for individuals who already have an associate degree in a career and technical field and want to become certified teachers.
- Office of Career and Technical Education (CTE): The Office of Career and Technical Education in Mississippi provides information about the various certification pathways available for High School Career Teachers. They offer resources and guidance on obtaining a Career and Technical Education teaching license.
- Mississippi Department of Education (MDE): The Mississippi Department of Education website provides information about the requirements and processes for becoming a licensed teacher in Mississippi. It offers resources, forms, and guidelines to help individuals navigate the certification process.
Remember, becoming a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi requires not only the appropriate education and certifications but also a passion for teaching and guiding students towards successful careers. Use these online resources to gather more information about the programs and certifications available, and take the necessary steps to pursue your career as a High School Career Teacher in Mississippi.